So I guess my name-tag distributing and collecting skills weren't quite up to par for my institute class. To tell ya the truth, I'm quite bummed, but it's really kinda funny actually. I played the piano for the opening song and afterward Brother Call demonstrated his concern that I'm pulling double duty with the name-tags AND piano. Yeah, I know, that's a pretty heavy load: Pushing a few ivory keys and passing out pieces of paper. I was exhausted within the first five minutes. Heck I can't even type very well cuz my fingers are recovering in slings right now. Sorry for the sarcasm. Some people don't enjoy it. So he asked if someone else would take my job as name-tag distributor/collector. I tried to throw out threatening looks to my fellow classmates, warning them that if they raised even a finger, they would lose their whole hand after class. I wanted that job dang it! My method seemed to be working and I began to relax, thinking I could keep my noble title. But then the scumbag behind me (where my threatening looks didn't quite reach) had the audacity to raise his hand and so generously take the job. Thief.
Oh well. Life goes on I guess.
Soooo I moved into my new home yesterday! I'm so excited. It's gonna be pretty sweet. Mom came and inspected (snooped) the whole place and was thinking the whole setup was a bit sketchy. She started asking if we could go look at other apartments across the street. I quickly informed her of two problems with her proposition: 1) I had my heart set on this one. And I told the girl I wanted it. 2) The ones across the street were for senior citizens. I mean, I know I'm getting old these days; and I'd LOVE to have a jazzy....but I think I'll wait a few years.
I loved having mom there though and she helped a ton. I'm sure we looked pretty cool hauling that mattress around...especially when we ran into the cement wall with it and nearly fell on our faces. haha. you kinda just had to be there. she took me shopping for food and other necessities. We went to Costco first and while we were checking out, I looked at the couple behind us and did a double take. well more like a triple take. I thought to myself..."wow, that guy looks like Elder Holland. interesting........ah! oh my gosh it IS Elder Holland. But he's in old guy clothes...? in JEANS?!? nah, that can't be him." So then i lean over to Mom inconspicuously and ask "is that guy behind us Elder Holland?" She looks over, stares for a couple minutes, and says "my heck, I think it is." Then I say "oh my gosh! how cool is that??!!?! yeah, our stunned amazement wasn't obvious at all. (as I look over to his wife who is just smiling and totally knows what we're up to) So mom asks me "go and talk to him." I say "no, I look like crap. I'm too scared. you do it." "well I don't want to." "alright let's just go. mom quit staring. you're gonna cause a scene." "well I was just looking at their purchase."
And that was our awesome encounter. haha. when we got out to the parking lot I was sooo mad that I hadn't said anything. I was hoping they'd come out the same way we did, but they never did. We probably freaked 'em out so they took the long way or something. haha. so moral of the story. don't hesitate to talk to cool people. even if you look like crap. your biggest regrets tend to come from things you didn't do rather than things you did.
It was still a pretty cool experience. And I doubt I'll ever forget it. I think it's fun to see that the brethren are pretty normal, regular people just like us. and that they wear jeans too. haha

1 comment:
We must share the joy!
And, I was not snooping...just checking things out like any "normal mother" would do. Love you Ash :)
Post a Comment