create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Monday, April 12, 2010

Oh don't look at me like that. You all know golf is cool


Well I have to say I was rather miffed by the latest uproar of the most well-known golfer (and apparently a lot more known than we all thought) and his "glorious", "courageous" return to the gentleman's sport after such a "challenging", and "trying" time. Yeah, I'm sure he was hurtin' real bad the last few years. I've been disgusted by his continued arrogance and immaturity, especially when he had the audacity to so confidently state he would win the Masters this weekend. Oh and for the record, I have NEVER liked him. But no need to bash anyone, even someone so low and pitiful as him. Because this sport is not all about Tiger after all. And yes, even with all the chaotic debacle surrounding the Nike-sponsored player(player is right..oh sorry, no more bashing) the true champion was recognized: The California Lefty, Phil Mickelson. Now, if anyone's had a challenging and trying year, it's been him. His wife and mother have both been battling breast cancer, and from his heartfelt interviews, you can tell it's been a tough time in their lives. Amy hasn't been able to attend hardly any of the tournaments he's played in this year, and Phil wasn't even sure she'd make it this weekend. He was wanting to win it for her, and was hoping she'd be there to cheer him on. While she didn't have the strength to be there the first few days, she did make it out on Sunday to watch him take the victory on hole 18. After his birdie putt and celebratory fist pump, he walked over to his emotional dear wife and embraced her for what seemed to be an eternity. As they stood and held each other surrounded by the cheering crowd, a few visible tears ran down his cheek. I daresay, it was the most tender moment I've ever witnessed in professional sports. I dang near cried. Seriously, my eyes were tearin' up and the waterworks just about went full blown. haha. But I held myself together.


Anyways...this was just so cool. It's rather nice and refreshing to see good people get awarded with such great recognition. He took it like a man, humble and without a speck of arrogance, and gave all the glory to his wife and family. I've looked up to him for a long time, but yesterday he truly became a hero in my eyes. Way to go Phil!!



2 comments:

Jess Allen said...

That's really sweet. Thanks for sharing. I've always liked Phil too.

The Robison Fam said...

Well said, my dearest :) Your insight is refreshing! Yeah for Phil and his family!!! You gotta love it.